- forest research institute kanpur
Forest Research Institute Uttar Pradesh
Forest Research Institute in Uttar Pradesh, started way back in 1918 with the appointment of Mr. E.A. Smithies, of Indian Forest Service as State Silviculturists. The need for intensive research to increase the overall productivity of the forest was realized and as a result State Forest Research Laboratory was established at Kanpur in 1970 which was later upgraded into the State Forest Research Institute in 1993.
State Forest Research Institute, Uttar Pradesh, is headed by the Chief Conservator of Forests, who is also the Director of the Institute. The head- quarter of silviculturists, Southern Region is also located in the campus. The Institute, has two more regional centers- one at CB Gaj, Bareilly, and another at Ram Nagar (Varanasi) headed by the State Silviculturists.
Major Thrust areas of Forest Research Institute Kanpur are:
- Increasing productivity of Forest through Tree Improvement Programme.Supply of Quality Seeds.
- Development of suitable planting techniques for Refractory Areas.Ex- situ as well as in situ conservation of Medicinal plants.
- Development of Suitable Agro- Forest Models.Ecology and pollution related studies.
- Dissemination of result through training Publications of Technical Bulletins as Well as lab to land leaflets.
Research Programmes in Forest Research Institute Kanpur
- Development of improved protocol for raising large plantation of Dendrocalamus asper (Edible bamboo)
- Resistant clones of Shisham and Bambusa wamin (Pitcher bamboo) through tissue culture
- Ravines trials in Research centre Mathura.
- In vitro clonal multiplication of various Bamboo species under National Bamboo Mission Scheme.