V. V. Giri National Labour Institute
Set up in July 1974, V.V. Giri National Labour Institute (VVGNLI), an autonomous body of the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India. It is a premier Institute of Labour Research, Training and Education. Since its inception, the Institute has endeavoured through research, training and publications to reach all those who are concerned with various aspects of labour, both in the organised and unorganised sectors. The focus of such endeavours has been the transfer of academic insight and understanding related to all the aspects of labour for application to policy formulation, legislation and action to ensure a just and proper place for labour in an egalitarian and democratic society.
Aims and Objectives
The Memorandum of Association spells out clearly a wide range of activities that are essential to fulfil the objectives of the Institute. The main objectives of the Institute are:
- To undertake and assist in organising training and education programmes, seminars and workshops;
- To undertake, aid, promote and co-ordinate research on its own or in collaboration with other agencies both at national and international levels;
- To establish wings for:
- education, training and orientation;
- research including action-research;
- consultancy; and
- publication and such other activities as may be necessary to achieve the objectives of the Institute.
- To analyse specific problems that are encountered in the planning and implementation of labour and allied programmes and to suggest remedial measures;
- To establish and maintain library and information services and collaborate with other institutions and agencies in India and abroad which have similar objectives.
Research in V. V. Giri National Labour Institute
Research occupies a primary place in the activities of the Institute. The subject of research comprises a broad spectrum of labour-related issues and problems, in both the organised and the unorganised sectors. While deciding the topics of research, care is taken to identify subjects and issues of topical concern and relevance to policy formulation. The Institute continues to place great emphasis on the problems and issues of labour in unorganised and organised sectors in general and the more disadvantaged among these such as child labour, women labour and rural labour, in particular.
Research activities also explore the basic needs of different groups of trainees such as trade union leaders and organisers in both organised and unorganised sectors, managers of public and private sectors, labour administrators, and volunteers of non-governmental organisations. The following ten Centres carry out studies on the major themes related to research:
- Centre for Labour Market Studies
- Centre for Employment Relations and Regulations
- Centre for Agrarian Relations and Rural Labour Studies
- National Resource Centre on Child Labour
- Integrated Labour History Research Programme
- Centre for Labour and Health Studies
- Centre for Gender and Labour Studies
- Centre for North-East India
- Centre for Climate Change and Labour
Library of V. V. Giri National Labour Institute
N. R. De Resource Centre on Labour Information (NRDRCLI) is one of the most reputed library cum documentation Centre in the area of labour studies in the country. The Centre was renamed in memory of late (Shri) Nitish R. De, the founder Dean of the Institute on July 01, 1999 to commemorate the Silver Jubilee Celebration of the Institute. The Centre is fully computerized and offers the following services and products to it users.
V. V. Giri National Labour Institute
PIN Code - 201301
Email : directorgeneralvvgnli@gmail,com
Tel : 0120-2411533/34-38
Fax : 0120-2411536, 0120-2411471/474